Classic Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe
For the cake
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 200g softened butter (extra for greasing the cake tins)
- 4 Free Range Eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp of vanilla extract
For the filling
- 250g fresh strawberries
- ½ tsp of Vanilla Extract (optional)
- 150g good-quality strawberry jam
- 150ml double whipping cream
- 1 tbs caster sugar (optional)
- Icing sugar, for dusting
You will need... x2 20cm cake tins, non-stick baking paper, x3 mixing bowls, sieve, electric whisk and a wire rack for cooling.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas mark 5. Grease the 2 cake tins and line with the non-stick baking paper.
- In one of the mixing bowls, on a medium to high setting, cream the butter and sugar together, and then beat in the eggs, milk and vanilla extract until smooth. In a separate bowl, sieve the flour and baking powder, and then fold into the butter mixture until smooth and lump free.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 cake tins and smooth over the surface. Bake for 20 mins until golden in colour and the sponge springs back when touched. You can check that the cakes are cooked by piercing the sponge with a clean cocktail stick. If the stick comes out clean, the cakes are done. If not, return to the oven for another 5 mins, taking care not to burn.
- Turn the cakes out onto the wire rack for cooling before adding the filling.
- Whilst the cakes cool you can get cracking with the filling. Remove the stalks from the strawberries, slice into thirds and set aside.
- In a bowl, add the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract and whisk until you form soft peaks.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, spread the jam on one cake, and layer the sliced strawberries on top. Spread the whipped cream over the fruit, and place the 2nd cake on top gently.
- Finish with a dusting of icing sugar and serve with a fresh pot of tea. Enjoy!
Browse and shop our delicious range of readily available cake slices, indiviaully wrapped with great shelf life and great tasting! Including carrot cake, toffee cake, lemon cake, and chocolate fudge cake.