Strawberries are synonymous with Wimbledon and we have the perfect fruity recipe for you to serve up, no pun intended...
- 250g (8oz) plain flour
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 150g strawberries (plus extra to decorate)
- 75g butter at room temperature
- 175ml full fat milk
- 1 large free range egg
- 1tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Whipping cream and strawberry sauce to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / Gas Mark 6 and line a 12 hole tin with muffin cases.
- Before you start to make the muffin batter, prepare the fruit. Wash and hull the strawberries. Gently mash the fruit into a rough pulp and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the sugar and then sieve in the baking powder and flour. Mix until combined.
- Chop the butter into small pieces and then add to the flour mix. Rub into the mixture until it starts to resemble breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg, milk and vanilla extract together, then add to the flour mixture.
- Beat until evenly incorporated and then fold in the strawberry pulp.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake in the oven for 25mins until golden brown in colour and a clean skewer comes out clean when inserted into the sponge.
- Leave to cool in the tray for 5mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Whilst the muffins cool whip the cream and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- When ready, spoon a dollop of cream on top of the muffin, drizzle with the strawberry sauce and serve with a tall, cool glass of Pimms.
For another Strawberry treat, try our Strawberry Fields Flapjack. The perfect snack for all those who have been inspired by Wimbledon to pick up and racket and give it a go!