Have some baking fun with the kids this half-term and make some smiley jammy dodgers – Hello! Hooray!
For the biscuits
100g Unsalted Butter, (softened at room temperature)
100g Caster Sugar
1 Free-Range Egg, (lightly beaten)
275g Plain Flour
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
For the filling
Seedless Raspberry Jam
1. Preheat the oven to 190C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, a little at a time, until well combined.
3. Stir in the flour until the mixture comes together as a dough. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of 1cm.
4. Using biscuit cutters, cut biscuits out of the dough and carefully place onto the baking tray.
5. Bake the biscuits for 8-10 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Keep an eye on them as they turn brown very quickly! Set aside to harden for 5 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
6. Take a cold biscuit base and spread a jam. (Don’t go mad with the spreading of the jam or it will just go everywhere when you put the top on, but make sure that there is enough jam where the face will be!) Place the top in position, and repeat until all the biscuits are done.
7. For the fun part, decoration - Take a sandwich biscuit face and dip the top of the face / biscuit into some melted chocolate. Sprinkle hundreds and thousands onto the chocolate and you can also dip a smartie into the chocolate and make into a nose for the face!