New Year, New You... Porridge Bars!
Kick-start the new year with a deliciously healthy, energy packed, snack bar on the go! Whether you are a breakfast skipper, looking for something delicious for your elevensies or afternoon tea.
- 130g Rolled Oats
- 5 Dried Apricots
- 25g Dried Cranberries
- 30g Raisins or Sultanas
- 20g Chopped Mixed Nuts (optional)
- 15g Sunflower Seeds
- 10g Pumpkin Seeds
- 1Tsp Cinnamon
- 300ml Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- 1-2 Tbsps Honey (optional)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
You will also need:
- 23cm x 23cm square baking tin (sealed base)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Weigh the rolled oats into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- With the dried apricots snip inot small pieces with a pair of kitchen scissors. Weigh the dried cranberries and raisins into the bowl.
- Once all of the dried fruit has been added, move your attention to the nuts and seeds. If you are using nuts you may need to chop them into smaller pieces before adding to the bowl.
- Sprinkle in the sunflower and pumpkin seeds and add in the ground cinnamon. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- In a measuring jug, carefully pour in the milk, add the egg, and give a quick whisk with a fork.
- Carefully measure the vanilla extract onto a teaspoon and then add to the milk and egg mixture and give the mixture one last whisk before pouring the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Mix and combine all ingredients togeher. (the mixture is very wet at this point - but don't worry, this is what it's supposed to look like).
- Allow the oats to start soaking up the milk and egg while you dig out your square baking tin and line the base and sides with greaseproof or parchment paper.
- Stir the mixture once more and then pour it into your prepared tin.
- Place the baking tin into the oven and allow to cook for 45 minutes to 1hr, until the mixture has set and the top is golden brown.
- Leave the porridge bars to cool completely in the tin.
- Once the bars are cold, cut into slices and enjoy a nutritious and guilt-free breakfast or snack.
Have you tried our delicious Porridge Oat Bars yet? Dairy Free and Gluten Free available in 3 flavours Cocoa, Cranberry & Orange, Merry Berry and Seed Sensation, each bar has just 200 kcal or less!