Fancy having a go at making your own chocolate Easter Egg? Then here is the perfect recipe, our bakers have even added more chocolate to make it into one solid chocolate egg….another ‘eggcellent’ recipe to make!
Chocolaty Easter Egg
You will need…A 13.5cm (5½in) plain egg mould, pastry brush, saucepan, latex gloves, chopping board & knife.
- 25 g White Chocolate
- 750 g Good-Quality Dark Chocolate
- Chop the white and dark chocolate up into small pieces and keep them separate. Put in separate heatproof bowls.
- Bring a saucepan half-filled with water to a simmer, then take off the heat. Place the white chocolate bowl over the pan for a few seconds, then take off and stir. Repeat (going slowly) until the white chocolate is just melted – don’t overheat your chocolate otherwise it will lose its shine on cooling.
- Use a teaspoon to drizzle white chocolate into both halves of an egg mould and leave to set firm – you can put the egg moulds in the fridge to speed up the white chocolate set.
- Repeat the melting process with the dark chocolate – you may need a bigger bowl for this amount of chocolate, then fill the chocolate into the egg mould halves, allowing it to set before adding another layer - you want about four in total.
- Trim egg edges flat and carefully pop out of the mould on to kitchen paper. Ideally wearing latex/vinyl gloves (to avoid fingerprints) fill, and brush the edges and centre of an egg half with melted dark chocolate. Press the other half gently onto the other half and leave to set. Wrap a ribbon around the middle (or use to hide join). Store at room temperature.
Serving Tip: Wrap the chocolate egg in a clear/ patterned cellophane and use a brightly coloured ribbon to tie a bow on top. Add a gift tag to the ribbon and voila! The perfect home-made Easter Egg gift!
Baking Tip: If you use a reduced amount of dark chocolate – 250g in total, you can keep the egg hollow, then when each half is set, fill with small foiled covered mini chocolate eggs, and then seal the halves together with melted chocolate around the edge and leave to set in room temperature.
Love Chocolate...? Then check out some of our indulgent chocolate bakery treats....Monster Chocolate Muffin, Chocolate Extreme Flapjack and Chocolate Fudge Cake are just a pick of the bunch!