Show your Dad some love this Father’s Day and treat him with a delicious and rich Whiskey and Honey cake.
You will need:-
x2 7inch cake tins, x2 mixing bowls, electric whisk, sieve, grater, greaseproof paper, and a wire rack for cooling.
For the cake
- 170g Self Raising Flour
- 170g Salted butter
- 170g Light brown sugar
- 3 Free range eggs
- 4 Tablespoons of your Dad’s favourite Whiskey
- x1 Large orange
For the buttercream
- 230 g Room temperature butter
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 2 tbsp Honey
- Orange juice
- 50g Chopped walnuts to decorate (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F/190C/Gas Mark 5, lightly grease the cake tins and line with greaseproof paper.
- Juice and zest the orange and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the eggs and orange zest until combined.
- Sift in the flour and fold into the mixture until thoroughly incorporated. Pour in the whiskey and then divide the mixture evenly between the 2 cake cakes tins.
- Bake for 25mins until golden and the sponge springs back when touched. Leave to cool for 5mins until turning out onto a wire rack.
- Whilst the cake cools, you can prepare the decoration. Roughly chop the walnuts and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl sift the icing sugar and then cream together with the butter, orange juice and honey until the combined and the buttercream holds it’s shape. Take care not to over beat as this will cause the mixture to become limp.
- Spread 1/3 of the buttercream over one of the cakes and then sandwich with the other. Using the remainder of the buttercream, cover the top and sides of the cake, smooth down and top with the chopped walnuts.
Need a belated Father's Day present? Why not spoil the special man in your life with one of our delicious Treat Boxes.