Gingerbread men recipe | Blackfriars
Looking for some fun and delicious bakes for Christmas? Gingerbread men are great fun to make and taste soft and chewy – they also make the perfect edible tree decoration. Get kids involved and spread the Christmas baking joy. Perfect as a treat and a gift too.
- 350g plain flour, (extra for rolling out)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 1 free-range egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Gingerbread man shape cutter
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together, add to the food processor and pulse until the mixture clumps together. Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm/¼in thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using the cutter, cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling. When cooled decorate with the writing icing and cake decorations, if you want to. (*You could also add a small hole on the top and tie some ribbon to hang on the Christmas tree).
Ho, ho, ho… Shop our delicious range of cake slices perfect for the festive season and for delivery direct to your door. Perfect treats for sharing. Here is a small selection of our hand-picked festive favourites: Carrot Cake, Chocolate Fudge Cake, Fudge Brownie and Ginger Cake Slice.