Christmas Cranberry Pie
Fed up with mince pies? Then try our alternative Christmas Cranberry Pie recipe and impress your guests during the holidays.
You will need:- x1 Mixing bowl, sieve and cling film.
For the pastry:
- 190g plain flour
- 115g chilled salted butter
- 70g caster sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup ice cold water
- x1 small egg for the glaze
- In a large bowl, sieve the flour and combine with the sugar and salt.
- Cut the butter into pieces and rub into the dry ingredients until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight if possible.
NB: If you don’t have time to make your own pastry and are using readymade pie crust, make sure to buy enough for a 9inch double crust pie.
For the filling:-
You will need:- 9inch pie dish, x1 saucepan, sieve and tin foil.
- 340g fresh or frozen cranberries
- 300g soft brown sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 10g butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup of water
- Juice of one lemon
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Once the pastry has chilled, pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C, gas mark 6.
- Roll the dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Save enough for the top and decorations.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate, cover in foil and blind bake for 20mins.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan over a medium heat, sieve the flour and combine with the sugar, salt and water. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly until thick and smooth. Add berries, lemon juice, nutmeg and cinnamon. Cook until the mixture is thick and the cranberries pop.
- Remove from the heat and stir in butter.
- Add the mixture to the pre-baked pastry crust and cut out the pie lid. Place on top, crimp the edges and make a small incision in the centre for the steam to escape. Decorate as desired with pastry shapes. Finish with the egg wash
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Serve with a generous helping of cream or brandy butter for a naughty festive treat.