In honour of National Vegetarian Week, try our delicious recipe for an egg free chocolate and beetroot cake. Tempting enough for all the non Vegetarians as well.
Eggless Chocolate and Beetroot Cake
You will need:- x1 20cm cake tin, greaseproof paper, food processor or hand held blender for pureeing the beetroot, electric whisk, sieve, mixing bowl, saucepan, and a wire rack for cooling.
- 100ml Sunflower or Rapeseed oil (plus extra for greasing)
- 175g Drained or fresh beetroot
- 175g Soft dark brown sugar
- 200g Self-raising flour (sieved)
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 55g Good quality cocoa powder
- 200g Natural plain yoghurt
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Chocolate shavings or crushed beetroot crisps to decorate (optional)
For the Icing
- 100g icing sugar
- 50g dark chocolate (at least 80% cocoa solids)
- 1 tbsp good quality cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4. Grease the cake tin lightly with oil and line with greaseproof paper.
- Using the food processor or blender, puree the beetroot until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl beat together the sugar and oil until combined. Gradually add the flour, baking powder cocoa and salt mixing until a smooth mixture is formed. Add the yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Add the beetroot puree to the cake mix and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the cake mixture into the tin and bake for 50-60mins or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 5mins before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Whilst the cake cools, you can make the icing. Place the ingredients in the saucepan and heat gently over a low temperature, carefully whisking until smooth. Take care not to burn the mixture. Leave to cool for 20mins. Pour or drizzle the icing mixture over the cooled cake until evenly covered. Finish with chocolate shavings or crushed beetroot crisps.