You will need:- Electric whisk, x3 mixing bowls, sieve, baking spatula, wooden spoon, x1 12 hole cupcake tin and 12 standard size paper cases.
For The Cakes
- 100g plain flour
- 25g good quality cocoa powder (extra for dusting)
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 40g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Halloween cake decorations - we chose Witch's hats made from Royal Icing
Makes 12 Cupcakes
For The Frosting
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 30ml whole milk
- ½ tsp of vanilla extract
- Red food colouring
- Pre-Heat Oven to 170C gas Mark 3 and line the cake tray with the paper cases.
- In a mixing bowl sieve together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder and stir until fully incorporated.
- Add the sugar and butter and mix until combined and you form a sandy, breadcrumb texture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, milk and vanilla extract together, and add to the dry mix slowly, gently beating until a smooth mixture is formed. Do not over beat.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 paper cases and bake for 20mins or until the sponge springs back when gently pressed.
- Once cooked, remove from oven, and leave for 5 minutes before turning the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Whilst the cakes cool down you can make the butter cream. Cream together the icing sugar and butter. Beat on a high speed, gradually adding the milk, vanilla extract and food colouring.
NB: The amount of food colouring to use will depend on the type you have bought. Check the instructions before you start to add to the frosting.
- Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, pipe the buttercream on top and place your Halloween decorations on top and serve.
Feeling creative? Then why not enter our Pumpkin Carving Competition to be in with a chace to WIN 1 of 3 Treat Boxes!