Courgette and Walnut Loaf Cake
New Year’s Resolution to eat more Fruit & Veg? Then try this delicious naughty and nice courgette cake packed with hidden veg and protein rich walnuts...
You will need:- x1 standard loaf tin, baking paper, a grater, sieve, x2 mixing bowls, electric whisk (optional), small saucepan, a clean tea towel and a wire rack to cool.
For the cake
- 350g courgettes
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 125ml sunflower oil
- 3 large free range eggs lightly beaten
- Grated zest & juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g mixed dried fruit
- 300g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g roughly chopped walnuts plus extra for decorating
- 1 tbs runny honey
For the Frosting
- 200g full-fat cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- Juice & zest of 1 orange
- Chopped walnuts to decorate
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C, Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease the loaf tin and line with baking paper.
- In the saucepan add the honey, dried fruit, orange juice and zest and gently heat until the dried fruit becomes plump.
- Meanwhile finely grate the courgettes leaving the skin on to add colour. Place the grated courgettes in the tea towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Place the courgettes in a mixing bowl and add the sugar, sunflower oil, vanilla extract and eggs. Beat until smooth.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture taking care not to overmix.
- Add the fruit mixture along with any remaining liquid plus the chopped walnuts and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Scrape the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 50 mins until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- Whilst the cakes cool make the frosting. Beat the cream cheese with the icing sugar. Gradually add the orange juice until you get a smooth mixture. Do not use all of the juice if the mixture starts to become runny. Chill the frosting until the cake is cooled and ready for decorating.
- Once the cake is cooled completely spread the frosting on top and finish with chopped walnuts and the remaining orange zest.
Serve with a cup of green tea if you’re feeling extra healthy.
Love cakes but not baking? Try one of our 5 delicious cake flavours, available for delivery straight to your door.