Spiced Christmas Cookies
Enjoy some festive family fun with this Spiced Christmas Cookie Recipe. Easy enough for little elves to help.
You will need:- 2 Mixing bowls, Electric whisk (optional) sieve, rolling pin, star shape cookie cutter, greaseproof paper and x3 baking trays.
- 150g self-rising flour
- 150g plain flour (extra for rolling)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 125g salted butter
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 1 large free range egg
- Apricot jam
- x1 pack ready to roll white icing
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Pre-heat the over to 160 degrees C (Gas Mark 3), and line the baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Sift together the flours, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Set aside
- In a separate bowl cream the sugar and butter together until smooth. Add the egg and mix well.
- Gradually stir in the dry ingredients and mix into firm dough. Kneed on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Roll to 5mm thickness and cut into star shapes. Place onto the baking trays and bake for approx 10-12mins, until soft and golden. For a harder, biscuit texture bake for approx 15mins taking care not to burn.
- Leave to cool in the tray for 5mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- While the cookies cool, cut the icing out into star shapes.
- Once cooled completely, spread a thin layer on jam onto the cookies and place the icing stars on top. Once all the cookies have been iced, dust with icing sugar.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.