Christmas Chocolate, Cinnamon and Orange Cake
· 2 Small Thin-Skinned Oranges, (approx 375g total weigh, or 1 large)
· 6 Eggs
· 1 Tspn Baking Powder
· 1⁄2 Tspn Bicarbonate of Soda
· 200 g Ground Almonds
· 250 g Caster Sugar
· 50 g Cocoa
· Icing Sugar, (for decoration)
· Cinnamon Sticks, (for decoration)
- Put the whole orange or oranges in a pan with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours or until soft.
- Drain, and when cool, cut the oranges in half and remove any big pips.
- Pulp everything - pith, peel and all - in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C Butter and line a 20cm round baking tin.
- Add the eggs, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, almonds, sugar and cocoa to the orange in the food processor. Run the motor until you have a cohesive cake mixture, but slightly knobbly with the flecks of puréed orange.
- Pour and scrape into the cake tin and bake for an hour, by which time a cake tester should come out pretty well clean. Check after 45 minutes because you may have to cover with foil to prevent the cake burning before it is cooked through, or indeed it may need a little less than an hour; it all depends on your oven.
- Leave the cake to get cool in the tin, on a cooling rack. When the cake is cold you can take it out of the tin. Decorate with a dusting of icing suagr on top and some cinnamon sticks.
If you are looking for a quick fix on chocolate cake, then you must buy our scrumptious Chocolate Fudge Cake! Available to buy in a box of 12 for delivery direct to your door.