Blackberry Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Icing
Treat Dad with a batch of home-made cupcakes this Father's Day.
- 300g Blackberries (plus extra for decoration)
- 100g Butter
- 100g Milk Chocolate (broken into chunks)
- 225g Self-Raising Flour
- 175g Golden Caster Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 2 Large Eggs (beaten)
For the icing
- 100g Unsalted Butter, (room temperature)
- 400g Icing Sugar, (sifted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. Roughly crush three quarters of the blackberries with a fork so the juice is running but there are still some chunky bits. Gently melt the butter and chocolate in a saucepan. Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl. Put the kettle on.
- Scrape the butter-chocolate mixture and eggs into the dry ingredients with the crushed blackberries and 100ml boiling water. Mix together until smooth. Divide between the muffin cases and bake for 15 mins until risen and a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean. Lift from the tin onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Beat the butter, icing sugar and vanilla together until really pale and fluffy – about 5 mins. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with your favourite nozzle and pipe a generous amount onto each cupcake – removing the paper case first if you want to show the colour of the sponge. Top each cupcake with a fresh blackberry and enjoy!
Have you tried our Blackforest Muffin? A perfect gift to order direct to the door! Luxurious chocolate muffin with black glace cherries, chocolate chips, cream & black cherry flavour filling with a decadent white chocolate flavour topping.