Apple Meringue Pie
Beat the January blues and bake up a Winter warming treat that’s delicious and light and uses up some leftover ingredients.
- 125g Plain Flour
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 50g Butter or Margarine
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 to 2 Bramley Apples – (cored, peeled and chopped)
- 50ml Water
- 1 Tbsp Golden Syrup
- 2 Egg Whites
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Mix together flour, salt, and 50g of the caster sugar in mixing bowl. Rub in butter till mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and mix (pastry will be crumbly). Press into a lined sandwich tin and top with baking parchment.
- Bake pastry blind for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Peel and chop apple place in a saucepan with water and golden syrup and cook until soft. Set aside.
- Place egg whites in large bowl and beat using electric beaters for a minute, then gradually add caster sugar and beat until stiff.
- Put apple mixture on base and pile meringue on top.
- Place back in oven for about 20 minutes until meringue is nicely brown and set. Let pie set for awhile before cutting.
- Serve with ice-cream or vanilla custard either hot or cold.
If you love all things apple, then you must check our 'Apple & Sultana' or 'Apple And Raspberry' flapjacks, suitable for Vegans too!