Amazing Valentine Chocolate Cupcakes
Bake yourself or a loved one some indulgent chocolate cupcakes, share the love.
- 100g plain flour - *Use oat flour as a wheat/ gluten-free alternative
- 20g cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 40g unsalted butter (ambient) - *Use almond butter or sunflower oil as a dairy-free, vegan alternative.
- 120ml whole milk - *Use soya or oat milk as a dairy-free / vegan alternative.
- 1 egg - *Use mashed banana or soya yoghurt as a dairy-free / vegan alternative.
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate Buttercream Icing
- 100g milk chocolate - *Use cocoa powder instead for a dairy-free/ vegan alternative.
- 200g butter (softened) - *Use a plant based margarine spread as a vegan alternative.
- 400g icing sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp milk - *Use soya or oat milk as a vegan alternative.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, a pinch of salt and the butter in a free-standing electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk). Beat on a slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a jug, then slowly pour about half into the flour mixture. Beat to combine and turn the mixer up to high speed, scraping any mixture from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pour in the remaining liquid and continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until approximately two-thirds full. Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, make your chocolate buttercream icing and spread it over the cakes with a palette knife, or use a piping bag.
- You can decorate your cupcakes how you wish, we used mixed chocolate mini balls to sprinkle over the cupcakes.
Shop our range of indulgent chocolaty muffins and cakes for delivery direct to your door, you will fall in love with our Chocolate Fudge Cake.