Amazing Chocolate Cupcakes
School’s out for Summer! And what better way to celebrate than to bake some AMAZING chocolaty cupcakes
- 100g Plain Flour
- 20g Cocoa Powder
- 140g Caster Sugar
- 1 ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- 40g Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 120ml Whole Milk
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Tsp Vanilla Extract
To Decorate - Chocolate Butter Cream
- 100g Milk Chocolate
- 200g Butter (softened)
- 400g Icing Sugar
- 5 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- Hundred and Thousand Sprinkles
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, a pinch of salt and the butter in a free-standing electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk). Beat on a slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a jug, then slowly pour about half into the flour mixture. Beat to combine and turn the mixer up to high speed, scraping any mixture from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pour in the remaining liquid and continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until approximately two-thirds full. Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, make chocolate buttercream topping as follows.
- Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water (make sure the bowl isn't touching the water). Stir until melted. Alternatively, melt in the microwave, stirring every 30 secs. Leave the melted chocolate to cool for 5 mins.
- Mash the butter and icing sugar together with a fork first, then switch to a wooden spoon or electric beaters if you have them. Sift in the cocoa and pour in the melted chocolate, a pinch of salt and the milk, then mix again until smooth. Use to top cupcakes or cover and fill a chocolate sponge cake.
- Spread the buttercream over the cakes with a palette knife, or use a piping bag. Finish with hundreds and thousands colourful sprinkles on top.
Looking for some scrumptious treats for the kids this Summer holiday, then take a look at our Treat Boxes available for delivery direct to your door, 22 delicious products in a choice of 3 varieties 'Choc & Toffee treat box', 'Favourites treat box' and 'Fruity treat box' featuring flapjacks, muffins, cake slices and cookies.